Wednesday, September 28, 2011

More Like Jesus

Did I mention that the Levitical offerings can be divided into two groups? ones that there is a reason given for the offering and those that no reason is given.   The sin and trespass offerings were for sins and trespasses.  Reasons given for the peace offering included the giving of thanks and the making of vows.  There is no reason given for the burnt and the meat offerings.
So, what was the reason that Jesus offered up Himself to die on the cross? Was it not for our sins and and our trespasses? Shouldn't any thanks we give, or vow we make, be based on what Jesus did for our sins and trespasses?

No reasons are given for the burnt and meat offerings.  The ancient Israelite offered burnt and meat offerings simply because God asked for it.  Jesus, when he was on this planet, submitted to the will of His Father, simply because.  We need to be more like Jesus.

I want to, I need to, be more like Jesus.
I want to, I need to, be more like Him.
Our father’s will was done,
By giving us his son,
Who paid the highest cost,
To point us to the cross.
And when I think of Him,
Taking on the whole world’s sin,
I take one look at me,
Compared to what I’m called to be. -- Keith Green

No comments:

Post a Comment